I don't do a good job of keeping up with extra buttons--or I used to not. A few weeks ago, I made some ponytail holders for the girls. When I sew (or should I say used to because I have no time now), sometimes I made ponytails for the girls using the button makers and cute fabric. These, however, were made from the buttons that were attached to the clothes. I took a rubberband and some tweezers and pulled the rubber band through the tiny hole. It was harder than the ones you make, but very do-able! I think it added a lot to this outfit--plus I didn't have the exact color bow I needed! The girls love them!