Thursday, April 9, 2009

I had the privilege of staying with Sara Beth's class while her teacher went to her own child's Easter party. It was so fun to be back in the classroom if only for an hour and a half! The teacher in me had to bring a book and an activity to do with them. I have really struggled the past two years coming up with activities and books that are on Sara Beth's level that explain Easter. She seems to be understanding a lot more this year and prayerfully that will continue as she ages.

Anyway, the book I read is my favorite Easter book that I have found. It is The Easter Story (Peek-a-Bible) written by Tracy Harrast. It is a really cute lift the flap book. Even if you don't have time to get it for this year, I recommend that you buy it and put it up for next year.

For the activity you will need...egg crates, 4 plastic eggs, rocks, skinny tree branches (i used a bush), hot glue, and white fabric. It takes maybe 10 minutes to get together. Hot glue 2 pieces of the branches together to make a cross.

After reading the book. Give the children an egg and the cross. Discuss that Jesus died on the cross. Give them another egg with the fabric. Discuss that Mary Magdeline and other women wrapped Jesus' body and his body was laid in a tomb. Give them the rock and an egg and this is for the stone that was put in front of the tomb. The last egg is empty because the tomb was empty on Sunday because Jesus was alive! I told them to go home and use these eggs to explain the Easter story to their parents.

I got this idea from Resurrection Eggs which you can buy at Lifeway. I do have these eggs and they are wonderful ( a must have), but they go into a lot of detail. This simplifies it with the main points of the story.


No comments: