Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Vegas Mountains

Other than eating yummy Vegas food, we had a blast hiking a mountain one day.  We set off to see Raintree, supposedly the oldest living tree in Nevada.  We never could find that tree, but we weren't the least bit disappointed.  It was a difficult, cold, and snowy hike that we will never forget.  We went with the Stewarts and unfortunately I didn't get a pic of all of us.  As you can see, we weren't expecting 2 feet of snow on the ground.  The people that had gone sometime recently in front of us had snow shoes and poles--we had tennis shoes!  It took more than 2 and a 1/2 hours to get up and somewhere around 45 min to get down!  I have a video to post of how we got down the mountain! 

At the bottom


Beautiful views--wished I had something other than my iphone camera


Anybody know what animal makes these tracks?  The guys insisted it was a dog--Mary Ellen and I insisted it was a bear.  We settled on calling it a dogbear!  



Awesome standing on snow and looking out over desert



We made a lot of holes that looked like this!  And we won't be telling how many times we busted it on the way down.  It's amazing I didn't break my right arm and Mary Ellen didn't break her leg!

On our way back into town, we drove through the desert.  I had never seen the desert or desert plants before, so we stopped so I could investigate.  Jimmy warned me to watch out for snakes so I ended up not doing much exploring!


small bits of beautiful colors

No comments: